Friday, June 6, 2014

Inaugural Blogural

Salutations.
I've been meaning to start this for a while, and I guess I have enough of a back-catalog of things to post now to make it worth our collective whiles.

I pick up clothing donations out of metal boxes that are set up in all sorts of different communities.  My jobs main aim is the collection of clothing and shoes.  But because the bins just sit out in the public 24 hours a day, there is no way to regulate the litany of other nonsense people throw in.

Sometimes it can be downright disgusting or degrading, as it is when people so generously give us their kitchen garbage.  Often times it can simply be an annoying hassle, as it is with larger items like mattresses and furniture, or broken glass items which the previous owner figured they'd take a chance dropping three feet down into a bin that they would have no way of knowing was cushioned or not.
But this blog is not a place for me to vent about annoyances faced on the job. The internet does not need another one of those. It could stand to have about ten million fewer outlets for people to complain about how bad they have it with their internet connection.

This is a blog about fascination and surprise. I am to catalog the weirder side of the free-for-all that is collecting donations from the unregulated public.  It is eye opening to see items which humanity has produced for commercial purpose that are just bizarre, unappealing, useless and designed poorly.  It is also a chance to glimpse into other peoples lives.  This job has a way of enticing the inner voyeur at every turn. After all, I am not a garbage man. The items that people place in our bins will all inevitably be seen and sorted by someone. If anything was meant to be private and destroyed, it went to the wrong place.


Crackhead Barbie

Crackhead Barbie is a simple one, and easy to explain, but nonetheless a stunning find.  Drawn on by a kid with a marker and discarded, she now rots in Juggalo hell somewhere.  I had this as my facebook profile pic for a while, so people have already seen it, but I figured she'd be a good one to kick this off. Isn't she a looker, folks?

No comments:

Post a Comment